Well, I think I was a bit too cheery with yesterday's blog post. Bella had a bit of a turnaround starting at about 6:30 last night, and had a terrible night. She is okay, but she is quite agitated and not responding well to pain meds. Her oxygen saturation levels kept dropping, in part because she is not breathing deeply because her belly hurts and in part because she has some fluid around one of her lungs. Her oxygen was increased, which included a mask that she absolutely detests, adding to her agitation. Her sats did go up to a good level, though, so that helps. My blood pressure and anxiety increases exponentially with her decreases in O2 sats, and her added agitation does not help either. I slept from about 1:30 until 2 am, and then from 7-8. Not really a good night for me. I have also noted the direct correlation between my lack of sleep and the leakiness from my eyes. I have been so upbeat this whole time, and now I can't stop crying every time one of the doctors talks to me.
I did decide at 4 am that it would be a good idea for Steve to come down here for a couple of days, so I booked him on the 1 pm flight. Surprise Honey! Then I called him at 5:30 am to share this information with him, and I am sure I gave him a heart attack. I feel terrible, because he has SO much going on with the new business right now, but I decided that can wait or be handled by others for a couple of days. And by others I mean you, Dad. For those of you who don't know, we decided we didn't have enough going on in our lives right now, and SB Signs has grown with the purchase of Edgeworks Displays in Williston. We actually started out just looking for a building to own so we wouldn't be renting any more, and the Edgeworks space (a condo off Shunpike Road) was perfect. They were also selling the business, and it is something that we already do to some extent, so it was a natural extension of our business. Of course this all came about before the transplant discussion, but we decided that we needed to move forward with it regardless. The best part is that my dad agreed to come on board with us, and we have someone we trust to help with the business during Steve's absences right now. Unfortunately we just closed on Friday, so they are right in the middle of the move and setting everything up. So me having Steve come down here is just downright thoughtless of me, but I had to do it. Even perfect people like me have a breaking point.
So Bella is currently resting in relative comfort, thanks to a myriad of sedatives, tranquilizers, and pain meds. She looks like she is in the movie E.T. because we decided to put a hood over her instead of her dreaded face mask. It looks terrible (someday I will share the photo with you), but her O2 sats are perfect, and she is not fighting the mask. I guess her excessive agitation is just another way of showing us how strong and stubborn she is, not at all like any of the other members of her family. I am going to go shower, or at least put another (4th) layer of deodorant on. I have brushed my teeth, but only because this is a small room, and I am afraid the doctors won't come talk to me if I don't do that right when I get up out of bed. Knowing that my wonderful, amazing, loving, strong, supportive, fantastic husband is going to be here in about 8 hours is keeping me going. That and the continued support of all of you. By the way, you may have noticed I added a counter to the blog. I am pretty convinced that I don't actually get 300 hits a day from individual people, but that a couple of people (cough, Mom and Katie) are checking obsessively. Just so you know (cough, those same two people), I am not hiding anything from you. I do tend to thereputically pour my guts out onto these pages. Well, it is cheaper than my copay for counseling sessions!
Hey Court,
ReplyDeleteI just found out about the Blog and I’m very impressed at the upkeep, writing is a pretty darn therapeutic outlet so keep it up!
I am super happy to read about Bells progress and to hear what a fighter she is, it’s awesome. You are doing an amazing job of taking care of your lovely daughter and family, a true inspiration. Remember that good things happen to good people and you and Stevie are two of the best people I know.
Lots of love from Tamara and I!
Chad
Well, I DO know you have a ton of people checking your blog and (hehem) you do have a few of us checking obsessively. We just can't do it on the sly any more. I think it's our form of counseling.
ReplyDeleteI am soooooo glad Steve is on his way to be with you two "Pittsburgh Gals". Lean on him strong lady :) You are so blessed to have a wonderful, strong, supportive spouse! Actually, you are so blessed to have each other.
Although WE MISS YOU TERRIBLY, all is well here in Vermont.
Extra prayers are being sent you way.
Luv, Reney
PS I am POSITIVE that Bella looks beautiful even as a character from ET.
Sending a million hugs to you !!! Thank goodness Steve is on his way.. You have a lot on your plate it's ok to be feeling the way you are!! so happy you able to share your experiences I cannot even imagine the emotions you are going through. Hang in there and feel the Love and Support from Vermont... Let me know if I can send anything for you I would love to help in any way I can ...
ReplyDeleteHugs Lynn
I was Thinking not sure if this would help but when Stephen had Open heart Surgery and was in a ton of pain The only thing that would calm him was me quietly talking to him abut being in a happy place " his was in the woods hunting" it worked great till I stopped and he was Really uncomfortable so I Went and got a Nature Cd and CD walkman thing and put it on him it Helped a TON!! It was so hard to see him in so much pain.. so maybe Bella has something she likes that you might be able to do the same weather it's your voice recorded or a relaxation CD??
ReplyDeleteJust a thought not sure if it is even a option but thought I would mention it to you Stephen was int he ICU when we I did that. Thinking of you both !! Hugs Lynn
I can't wait to be with you in 2 days! Love you! Katie
ReplyDeleteHey remember ET gets to go home in the end so if thats what it looks like lets keep that in mind! So glad Steve will be with you soon...you need to let him take care of you and to regroup. I know how strong you are and having him to lean on will only make you stronger. You guys are AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!! Keep the Faith :) Becky
ReplyDeleteYou don't know how many of us are obsessive. I have sent your link out to everyone in my coverage area. so the Mtn. Gazette has probably added to your count. Not say that I don't check several times a day. You give me strength to carry through the small trials and tribulations of my days. Aunt Brenda
ReplyDeleteI'm back in baby's arms;
ReplyDeleteHow I missed those loving arms.
I'm back where I belong,
Back in baby's arms.