Thursday, December 2, 2010

Picture this:  Addie, Lily, Bella and I sleeping in the hospital room together.  There is a couch that doubles as a twin size bed with a twin size pull out trundle (a board with 1/2" of foam).  When I say "twin size" I am being a bit generous.  Anyway, Addie got the cushy couch part to herself.  Lily and I shared the trundle board, I mean bed.  I decided to sleep tip to tail so we could fit better, a bit like sardines.  I realized the error of my thinking about five minutes into the night when the smell of her feet began to make me dizzy and nauseated.  My McGuyver solution was to take the socks from my lily-fresh tootsies and put them on her feet.  It actually worked, but you should have seen the confusion on her face when she woke up with my socks on this morning.  Priceless.  Lord do my children have stinky feet!  Even Bella!  They must have gotten it from their father!
Jensen and Reney got here at about noon today, and we have had an action packed day.  They got a whirlwind tour of the hospital, watched a local high school put on Seussical, and walked down and then back up one of the steepest streets in town to get dinner.  I put them to bed at Ronnie's house at about 7:30, and I bet they were sleeping by 7:40.
My beautiful girls head home with Miss Reney tomorrow, and I am heartbroken.  We have really managed to find a semblance of a routine together, and I will miss them so very much.  I keep trying to convince myself that Bella will quickly get back on track so we can be home together for Christmas.  I miss my family, in every sense of the word, and want nothing more than to have Bella get well enough to go home.  I feel like so much has changed over these past weeks, here and at home, and I know it will be an adjustment going home.  I also know that it will feel more wonderful than I can even begin to imagine.  Well, 12 more hours with my girls, then Jensen and Josie to keep us company for a couple of days.  I hope they brought their walking shoes, because that's how I cure my blues!

3 comments:

  1. Darling Courtney, "Stinky feet, smell my feet, I've got you beat!" was a frequently repeated phrase in your growing up years. Stevie, I think Katie passed her odiferous challenges to your daughters!

    My heart hurts thinking of Addie and Lily leaving. Your sadness and their pull to stay and go home to Daddy is hard to imagine. You are strong and Ms. Bella is motivated to get home with you.

    Cannot wait to see my girls. Hope Stevie can share a few hours with me this weekend so we can get ski equipment. Pink poles go fast!

    I love you, Babe, and am so proud of your stamina, love, and unconditional acceptance of everything handed to you.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope everybody's travel goes okay. We've got our first real snowfall this weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Courtney,
    I am so unbelievably greatful that I got to go to Pittsburgh and hold your beautiful baby. It was such a relief to see her. Oh yeah, it was great seeing you too :) I truly believe that you will both be home very soon.
    The flights home were uneventful. It seems like time (pardon the pun) just flew!
    We got back to a somewhat a normal routine on Monday only to have a snow day on Tuesday. Your girls spent the day at my house. They tried snow skating for the first time, both did quite well. FYI a snow skate is like a skateboard without wheels. BFA Fairfax kids use them in middle school PE.
    Hugs and kisses to beautiful Bella. Seeing her made my holiday season.
    Stay strong and enjoy your time with Nancy.
    Luv, Reney

    ReplyDelete