Sunday, September 26, 2010

Decisions...and next steps

Steve and I have made the decision to go ahead with Isabella's hepatocyte transplant.  Bella and I will leave for Pittsburgh at 6 am tomorrow to begin the process.  The first couple of days will involve tests and such, and then she will be listed for the hepatocytes.  The surgeon believes we will have them within a matter of days.  The other alternative is that, since she is moved to the top of the list for a liver tomorrow, she will get a whole liver before the hepatocytes are available.  If she has the hepatocyte transplant she will still be on the transplant list waiting for a liver, and we will go ahead with the liver transplant even if she has already had the hepatocyte transplant, as the H.T. is a new procedure that has not yet been proven to work.  Actually, Isabella will be the first person to have this procedure performed on her in this way.  Well, as I said, it has worked on rats and monkeys, and she kind of looks like a monkey, so hopefully it will work for her!
I have spent the past two days snuggling with Addie and Lily, and know that they will be in great hands while I am gone.  Our friends have truly rallied around us, and I know that Steve and Mom will be supported in the day-to-day, too.  Thank you again to EVERYONE, and I wil keep you updated as things progress.

1 comment:

  1. Our thoughts are with Bella and the whole family. We miss seeing you this morning, but not the pokes! We'll be following the blog for updates. Lots of love from the Comfort Zone ladies.

    ReplyDelete